Monday, November 5, 2012

Diaper Cakes!

I am becoming a grandma again...my middle son is expecting his first child at the end of January 2013.  We are excited and for the baby shower I decided to make a diaper cake.  I've seen various types and shapes of diaper cakes on Pinterest, but decided I would start with one of the easier designs in a traditional cake style. So after checking out a couple of You Tube videos on the basics, I gathered my supplies and got started.


This particular idea used diapers rolled up into sausages and rubber banded in the middle.  Since I was going to build a three tier cake I found three round pans/bowls in graduated sizes in my kitchen to use to help me hold the banded diapers in place until I could put the final large rubber band around the entire group of diapers.  For the first two layers I used newborn sized diapers.  The first layer is 7" in diameter the second layer is 9" in diameter.  I used about 1 1/2 packages of newborn diapers for the first two layers.

Once I completed a layer I added ribbon around the perimeter of the cake and covered over the rubber band with the ribbon.  I chose blues and browns using some ribbons from my stash...they are expecting a boy!  For the third layer of the cake I used the next larger size of baby diapers, and again finished it off with a ribbon around the center.  The diameter of the third layer is 12" inches and I used the entire package of diapers and supplemented in the middle of this layer with some of the newborn sized diapers.

Once I had all three layers completed and tied with ribbon I added some accents to complete it.  After a quick trip to Wal-Mart I found some small blue clothespins and small colored plastic baby rattles.  With the layers stacked on top of each other I distributed the baby rattles around all three tiers of the cake.  On the top of the cake I added a circle cut from scrapbook paper and mounted on the top a pair of baby shoes with monkey's on them.  Monkeys seem to be the theme for the layette and shower!  Around the second layer of the cake I took two sets of baby socks and pinned them with the clothespins around the top of the ribbon on that layer.  For the final layer I added some baby spoons tucked in behind the ribbon and a couple of pacifier's.  The cake will be set on a cake board like an actual cake.


This was a fun project to make, made even more special because it is my grandchild!  My future daughter-in-law was wondering if I've figured out how to mail one yet!  Hmmmmm...I'll have to work on that!

Until next time...Imagine, Create, and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment