Saturday, April 9, 2011

Paper Bag Photo Books


1st Attempt -- Christmas Album

A couple of years ago I saw at a local craft store a sample paper bag book for which they were offering classes.  Well with Christmas approaching I really couldn’t afford the class, but I did have a supply of scrapbook paper, embellishments, and some brown paper lunch bags I could use to try my own version of this idea.  Well, that was then, and a year and a half later I have thoroughly enjoyed crafting these great gift ideas.  I also have managed to sell a few to my friends who readily admit, crafting is not their thing!   I have used different papers, depending on the theme I wanted to highlight, i.e., Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Travel.  So for this first attempt I used paper I had in stock, a my tab punch, my handy Cricut machine and stickers and embellishments in my stash.  To secure the spine of the book I punched seven or eight holes with a standard hole punch. For this first one I cut individual lengths of ribbon and slip knotted them around the holes. That didn't work so well, the ribbon I chose was rough and they want to frequently work loose. On future books I changed my strategy at the suggestion of a co-worker and have now started weaving a matching ribbon approximately 36 inches long once down through the spine and then turned around and wove it right back up the spine.  At the top I then tied a bow.  You can also attach jewels, beads, trinkets, whatever you want to personalize it.  Here are a few samples of other themes.

Travel Album

Fishing Album

I varied the themes and methods but the general idea comes through.  For the fishing book I used two or three different colors of twine I had laying around, doubled it up and wove it through the spine.  I also added a couple of small fish hooks.  This is my son Nathan and his fiance Laurencie's brag book for when they go fishing.

Puppy Love Album

Inside Pages Puppy Love Album


 This book is for a dog lover friend and former co-worker.  The ribbon has little paw prints on it and I managed to find some paw print and dog bones papers for the insides.  She loved her little Dog Album. 


Recently there have been a number of friends, friends of friends, aquaintenances who have been diagnosed with cancer.  I wanted to do something that would allow them to record this part of the journey in their life.

Front of Album

I came across these embellishments at JoAnn’s, themed around cancer.  Surely that sounds a little weird, but it gave me an idea…here is a sample of what I gave my friend. 

Back of Album





To these survivors I take off my hat. You are exceedingly strong and I admire you. 

If you are looking for a simple, imaginative, way to treat someone with a special gift that will help them store their memories, this is a perfect little project.  Until next time... Imagine, create, enjoy!  


1 comment: