Thursday, April 7, 2011

Artistic Block

Anyone who has every made anything, and I do mean anything, has probably suffered from artistic block.  It is the bane to everyone that designs or creates something.  That time in your creative endeavor, whatever it may be, when you can not, for the life of you, come up with the way you want to lay out your pictures on the scrapbook page, or the paper colors you want to use with those pictures, or the card you want to make, or the gift you want to create.  You see ideas and you think how cute is that, but when you sit down to work your own magic, you can’t get it right, you don’t have the right colors of this or that, you don’t have the right embellishments, you just don’t!  Those moments are some of my most frustrating…I know what I want in my mind, but can not, for some unknown reason, translate that to the project. 

So what have I done to get over the artistic block?  I wish it was something profound…I think it’s more basic than that.  I take a step back…I put the project out of my mind (at least the forefront of my mind).  I believe it is still there, simmering if you will, in the back of my brain.  Peripherally, I’m still rolling it around, it’s not taking up major space, but it’s there, in a file drawer waiting, waiting.  For me, it is sometimes the most simple things that open that drawer…watching nature, observing people, leafing through magazines, idea books, browsing in a store, and then it comes, an “ah ha” moment, when it clicks. You become so excited again at the potential of what your project can become!

Thanks for stopping by, until next time!  Imagine, create, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great pic of blooms...and those blooms dont even have to think about being pretty...they just are!!!
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete