Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day -- Part Two

I decided to blog about my craft stuff because I've live(d) with men most of my married life.  While I have a daughter by marriage she lived with her mom while growing up, and all I have delivered are boys.  Three boys to be exact, all born within a five year period.  Surrounded by men..and they have their hobbies, and things they are good at...cooking, wood working, mechanics, and more cooking...but not particularly interested in crafty things that I do...scrap booking, paper crafts, etc.  Blogging was my way of sharing with others my little bit of passion for card making and scrap booking. 

Today, I want to talk about my men...and Mother's Day, and the blessings I'm experiencing as I watch them grow up.  Don't get me wrong...they are grown, my baby is 25 and my oldest will be 29, but they are still growing up, maybe not physically, but emotionally and mentally, and maturing in a good way. While they were little, there were handmade cards, macaroni necklaces, beaded key rings, as a mother you know what I'm talking about, those precious items that are tucked away safely in a keepsake drawer.  As they've grown older, their gifts have matured as they have, small pieces of jewelry, cologne, gift cards to my favorite craft stores, flowers.  These are beautiful items and ones that I have treasured as much as the small handmade gifts.  Not because of the gift necessarily, but because of the sentiment and hearts of the gift givers. 

Today as I arrived home from a friend's bridal shower, I found on my front step the beautiful bouquet you see at the right.  Beautiful red and pale pink roses.  From my oldest son who is currently deployed in Afghanistan. What a surprise.  As I carried them inside I was so tickled!  What woman doesn't like to receive flowers.  Especially when you're not expecting them!  Let me reiterate, I've lived with mostly men the last 25 years...for the most part they don't think about these things cuz you're mom.  They aren't being mean, they don't do it on purpose, they just don't think along those lines.  Please don't think I'm generalizing either, because I think this is probably true for most guys.  They don't think about flowers for mom especially.  They are busy with their own lives, they have girlfriends, they think of it for the girlfriends, but not necessarily for mom. 

The flowers are gorgeous, I know I've said that, but I want you to know I really love the flowers!  What I want to share more is the sentiment that was on the card with the flowers...because as a mom and parent this is what makes the experience and ride of motherhood and parenthood worth it.  These are the things that bless my socks off and bring me to tears because I see the maturity and the appreciation for what is not an easy job, a job that has many layers and nuances and ups and downs.  And I think more importantly, he recognizes that I wasn't perfect and I didn't do everything right all the time, but I tried my hardest to be the best mom I could be.  It's not an epic poem, an ode to mom or fancy words...it is an appreciation for me...for what I've given to him...for being mom!  "If there was a day for everything you have given to me as a mother, it would be Mother's Day every day."  Wow! For everything I've given to him?  How about for everything he's given to me!  For everything they have all given to me!

My younger two sons are taking me to dinner tomorrow, Mother's Day, and I am blessed because they are here to spend time with me.  It will be a fun time of good food, laughter and joy, recognizing me in a different way. I pray that all of you mom's out there are recognized for who you are and what you've done in your child's life, how you've impacted them and influenced them and helped them to become the people you hoped they would become.  Thank you to my mom, although no longer here, I miss you mom, and to my mother-in-law for raising the son I married.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment