Monday, April 2, 2012

Magazine Card File


Recently while on Pinterest I found this cute little idea here for holding cards. I frequently make card sets for individuals as gifts and have wanted a way to gift them to the individuals. I think I have found my answer. The lady who shares this idea has a detailed tutorial at the link above as well as a picture of the cuts on graph paper with dimensions which I printed out as my guide.  She made her example out of white card stock and banded the magazine file with two different papers and added embellishments on the front of the box.  I chose colored paper for my files, just to change things up.  Here is my first one using a nice deep grass green color... I created a white band for around the box and used a Martha Stewart punch (Starburst I think) for the edges. 

The circumference of the box is greater than 12 inches by about 2 inches, so I stopped the border punch at each front edge and just did a plain white piece on the front.  I then added a scrap of pretty floral paper from K&Company and brought that around the perimeter of the box and stopped at each front edge.  I used the big flower punch by EK Success and punched it out of the same floral paper and layered on top of it a piece of white card stock.  I inked the edges and stamped it with a sentiment from my friend Shawn's
new stamp set you can check out here.  I had made some monogrammed note cards with green card stock as the accent pieces so this magazine file went perfectly with them.

Next I chose a blue card stock without pattern.  The instructions are really straightforward and this is just a breeze to make.  It goes together quickly and easily.  After putting the box together I again chose a piece of white card stock to make the first band around the box.  This time I used my StampinUp! floral border punch.  This was a little more complicated making sure the borders matched top and bottom.  Again because of the circumference being longer that 12" I pieced together the part that went on the front of the box...I made it the width of the front of the box and and extra 1/2 inch on each side and matched as closely as possible my punched border to have continuity.  The inside floral boarder was from a package of K&Company adhesive borders that I bought with the papers mentioned above.  I also had some separate embellishments/stickers which I used on the front of the box and then again on the back spine of the magazine file.
  These cards were monogrammed note cards and I used a light lavender card stock for accent.  These card magazines hold about 10 A2 notecards and envelopes nicely.

I hope my friend enjoys her gifts.  Until next time, Imagine, Create, Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment